Wednesday, May 20, 2020

The Calming Effect of Crafting




I discovered a way I can get into a form of meditation. I crochet. 

Let me back up for a moment. I know about the benefits of Yoga and meditation. I personally do not experience benefits from either. They are meant to quiet the mind. My mind races when I try and “think about nothing” or “clear your mind”. I feel like I am wasting time. 

I agree there are benefits to stepping back from the constant noise that surrounds me, surrounds all of us at times. How to do this is my problem. I have found a solution - crafts. My 30 year old niece recently asked me if I could crochet her a Piglet. She also said that Eeyore was her second favorite Winnie the Pooh character. I found free amigurumi patterns for both Piglet and Eeyore. I needed to order the yarn colors for Piglet, a very challenging prospect in a time of closed stores but that is a topic for another post. While I was waiting for the order to arrive, I had the yarn I needed to make an Eeyore. I surprised my niece with both crocheted characters last Sunday. 



Back to the point here. Following a crochet pattern quieted my brain. I was focused on the project and a sense of calm and peacefulness settled over me. I experienced something similar in pottery class when I became immersed in the creation of the tiny pots I make for my jade plants. I can “quiet my mind” by actively focusing on a creative project. 

Today, we have the ability to learn something new whenever we are so inclined. We have Google, Pinterest, YouTube, all wonderful sources for “how to” videos and articles. All available in the palm of your hand.  


 How do you find “calm”? 

No comments:

Post a Comment