Sunday, April 12, 2020

Easter Sunday 2020



Easter Reflections

It is Sunday, April 12, 2020. Easter arrives a little later this year. What should be a day spent enjoying the beauty of Spring is now, for the most part, a day spent inside.

HIV/AIDS was, and still is, a horrific virus. There are a lot of things to be learned about a virus. First and foremost, you cannot cure it. You can sometimes "treat" the symptoms potentially making it easier to deal with but you cannot cure it. The body, specifically the immune system, is the only defense against a virus. Vaccines will help the immune system identify and fight a virus against a future attack. What about the flu vaccines people get every year? What about this COVID-19 virus? Is this just another version of the annual flu? Is this why health experts are asking the question, "How long will antibodies protect us? A year, two years?" Will a vaccine for COVID-19 be successful in wiping out the potential for a future pandemic? Will another virus come along and create another pandemic?

Unfortunately, I think we are looking at the new face of the annual flu virus. 

Going forward we need to make some changes. 

  • We need a medical system that can manage the flu.
  • We need to improve our own immune systems.
  • We need to recognize this can happen every flu season.


Back to reflections


We started talking about this years flu in early February. I knew people and families that experienced the worse flu ever in December and January. Healthy, young people were sick in bed for up to two weeks. Was this the beginning of what would become COVID-19? I believe it was. I also believe there was nothing different that could have been done sooner to prevent what happened across our country and around the world. It happened fast. One weekend I am celebrating my birthday and the next week New Rochelle has a one mile containment zone. I stayed home for three days; Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. I read everything I could about what was happening. I wanted to understand something that was exploding overnight. I couldn't understand it then and now I believe this enemy was, and is, airborne. Fear is the one emotion that I continue to battle. The last day I spent the way I normally would on a typical Saturday was March 14. 

We are probably looking at another 60 to 90 days of "social distancing". And after that, days will be forever changed. A new plan is needed. What that is I am not really sure of. I do know I need a plan. Tomorrow, Monday, is the beginning of a new week. I will write out the Plan vs. Actual in my Rocketbook Fusion. And maybe, if all goes well, a new normal will begin to take shape. Waiting to get back to "normal" is a waste of time because "normal" is going to look very different. 

Be safe. Be well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment