Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Journey of a Type A Personality


I am a Type A personality in a transition stage. I am working on getting back in shape and I am motivated by 'Miles for Quinn' which I will describe here. The photo was taken in the White Mountains in New Hampshire. I copied it from the Facebook page of Randy Pierce  I added the wording, "The Mighty Quinn Mountain Climber Extraordinaire" because that's what he was. What makes this so remarkable is Quinn was a Guiding Eyes For The Blind yellow Labrador and Randy's guide dog. Guide dogs are not trained to climb mountains, they are trained to get their blind or visually impaired partner around obstacles. Randy is someone who doesn't know the meaning of the phrase, "you can't do that." The bond of trust that formed between Randy and Quinn allowed for the inevitable. Together Randy and Quinn climbed the 48 over 4000 foot peaks in the White Mountains of New Hampshire twice; once in winter and again in summer.  

Back to me. As I said in the beginning I am in a transition phase; I am working on getting back in shape. Admittedly this has been a struggle. It is easy to be comfortable in stretchy clothes. It is hard to not like the reflection in the mirror. I have an opportunity unlike any other before now; Miles for Quinn There is no better motivation for me than this. The Mighty Quinn, born December 11, 2004, crossed the Rainbow Bridge on January 20, 2014. It was cancer that took this brave boy. No mountain was ever in his way because he knew Randy was destined to climb and he would be by his side. And so I am starting to log my miles. Two days, two miles. It's a small number compared to what Randy and others are doing, but at least I am "doing it". Note to self; don't walk at the hottest time of the day.

What is your motivation? What is your mountain? You don't have to do it alone. I'm not - I have "mountains" of motivation beside me. If you need help, ask. Enjoy this gorgeous Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment