Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Google Hangout


A Google Hangout is a fantastic way to connect with people - friends; family and business associates. I had a few problems when I was first trying to use a Hangout. One reason was the platform. I researched how to do a Hangout and thought the same features described for a computer platform would work on my iPhone. I was also under the mistaken impression if I started "streaming" a Hangout from my phone, anyone could watch. Boy did I have a lot to learn.

Thanks to the help of my teammate and friend Debbie, we connected on a Google Hangout one morning. Here is what I learned:

You need a Google+ account to Hangout. If you haven't already done so, register for a free gmail address, set up your Google+ page and you are good to go. (If you are going to participate in a Live On Air Hangout, you will need to download a plug-in for your computer the first time you do this.)

On your tablet or smartphone you are limited to sharing what your camera sees and having a conversation with up to 9 others - 10 in total. 

When you are using your computer for a Hangout, you can share your screen, show a YouTube video, engage in Chat with others as well as talking with up to 9 people plus yourself. Google has some other neat apps that enhance your Hangout. You can do a Live On Air Hangout from your computer and this can stream through your Google+ account, YouTube or your blog. There is no limit to the number of people that can watch this live stream. In addition, after it ends, it is immediately saved to your YouTube channel. 

What ways do you see using a Google Hangout?



No comments:

Post a Comment